taking the train for Middletown at 4:30. This brought me home for a rather late supper, 7:30, and my Father, Mother and brother eagerly listened to my account of the day's experience, my Father asking me how I came out in the financing of my trip, and I disclosed to him that I had arrived home with just 6 cents in my pocket. I have done some close financing in my business experience in the years since, but nothing close than the financing of my first trip to New York.

The next two days, Sunday and Monday, I spent in seeing a few of my intimate friends, and my Mother helped in getting my things together in the little trunk and handbag, and then on Tuesday morning, January 2, 1871, I left the family roof, taking the same train for New York that I had boarded three days before. I recall that I had no conception of the importance of the move I was making, nor did I at all realize what must have been the feelings of my parents, and especially my Mother, who had always been my most intimate companion. In fact, I think that I did not fully realize what a Mother's feelings were on such an occasion until I had reached mature years.

My first day in the office was very pleasant, but, with night, extreme loneliness came over me. My little room had no heat whatever, and after supper, at a restaurant on the corner of 8th St, and 3rd Ave. I took a short walk on Broadway. Returning to my room the cold forced me to retire at once, and I was not very warm, even after throwing my overcoat and undercoat both over the bed.

A line of stages at that time ran from South Ferry up Broadway and East through 8th Street to 10th Street Ferry, and in contrast to my village home, the noise of these stages seemed terrific. I was glad to rise early the next morning, and I got to the office before the office boy had arrived to open up.

That was my first and last night in that little room. I arranged with my friends, Adam and Henry Beakes, that we should all take quarters in a boarding house at #11 Perry St., just off Greenwich Avenue, where we were all very comfortable, and so my feeling of loneliness was very much relieved, but it took more than a year to become acclimated to my new environment.

During all this time I felt that if I should have an opportunity to secure a position in my native town; so that I might live at home I would grasp the opportunity, and during my second year in New York I had that opportunity and at increased pay, but upon deliberation I explained to my Father and Mother

Go to Page #13