Sunday, with probably a head start on Friday afternoon. My father could not "leave early" on Saturday and return late on Monday, so he remained at home.

The first Summer that I remember was at "Cousin Ed's" (Mapes) farm north of Middletown, N.Y. in 1890, and again in 1891. The next Summer was the year of the Columbian Exposition or "World's Fair" in Chicago. Edgar and I were given our choice of two weeks at the Fair, or the Summer at Cousin Ed's (my father's cousin). We didn't even hesitate, but should at once "Cousin Ed's"! I have always regarded those Summers at the farm as the actual origin of the decision I made twelve years later, to leave the City and business life and take up orcharding in Oregon.

Such was my life in Brooklyn until January 1898, when I went off to boarding school in Worcester Academy, Worcester Mass, where I spent 4-1/2 years, graduating in 1902. I was by no means an outstanding student, but I would have done pretty well if someone had refrained from discovering Algebra and Geometry. Those studies gave me great trouble, and today I haven't the slightest idea of either of them.

I was fond of athletics, was a member of my class track and baseball teams (to my regret there was no School baseball team) and was a member of the varsity football team in Junior and Senior years, I was not good enough for the School track team but next best to it, I was Assistant Manager and Manager of the team in my last two years. Worcester excelled in football and track, and our teams won many New England Championships in each, including my years.

After graduating from Worcester I entered Princeton in the class of 1906. There I was the only representative of my school in contrast to large delegations from other and more prominent preparatory schools. This created an inferiority complex and diffidence, with the result that I acquired no honors, curricular or extra-curricular in College. But I obtained the distinguished degree of A.B., made many life-ling friends, and had four very happy years. My graduation was saddened by the death of my brother Edgar from typhoid, just three weeks before Commencement. My little sister Ruth had died of diphtheria in the summer of 1903 at the age of eight.

After graduation I entered my father's business, which brings me to the point of picking up my father's story where he left it, with the mention of the American Cigar Box Lumber

Go to Page #31